March 25, 2012

Surprise!

            I was so impatient that I couldn't close my eyes; I knew it's going to happen soon. But somewhere between my dreams and expectation I didn't realize I slept off. The next thing I saw was my crazy friends rounding my bed singing birthday songs with a delicious chocolate cake. Though I expected it, I pretended to be extra overwhelmed to make my sweet friends happy. 

The surprise birthday party kick started with a bottle of champagne (again I expected it but had to pretend all excited). The unexpected part was to see so many new faces and old faces which added to the craziness. Drinking like a fish, dancing like mad but deep down I was expecting her call. I kept checking my phone, e-mail but no answer from her. My annoying neighbour was the show stopper, he came thrice and blasted at us for loud music and this time we had to give up. Drunk girls, crazy assholes, jerks, doped freaks, old buddies all are out now. (Birthdays are at times just another reason for getting drunk and people just love to a take ride on it)

Its early morning 4.30, I was still up staring at the 855 Facebook wishes which didn't make any sense to me. Somehow I managed to sleep. Morning with a heavy head I got up and started off my daily routine. Professionalism and work life cares no damn even if it’s your freaking birthday, you have to work your ass out. Office was just hell that day. So much of tension and chaos that too I had to handle all on my birthday pheew! However busy I was the thought of her kept on disturbing me. I still remember the last thing she said to me


"Wait till your birthday, I have the biggest surprise for you girl"
"Surprise? Should I get paranoid"
"You ass, just wait and watch. It's a Big Surprise"
"I'm waiting"


I have never met a girl like her. A mad ass, crazy about everything and anything. You just can't resist missing a friend like her. She was a mystery woven with lot of problems, from her divorced parents to her old granny who is a cancer patient. But she always managed to keep a smiling face.

 I was so curious and excited to know her big surprise. But I got no answer from her the whole day. I tried to make myself believe, she was just kidding. I didn't know why I was very restless. Night around 11.30 I managed to call her. (While calling her, in my head, I was planning on how to blast her for not coming home for the party). The phone kept ringing but no answer. I got even more impatient and redialled the number, this time someone picked up the call on the last ring. I couldn't believe what I heard.  It was an accident or a suicide. No one knows the answer. All I could do was cry and cry for my long lost friend who taught me to live life against all the odds

"Was this her Surprise? Or has she gone with so many unfulfilled dreams and surprises?
Just like her, the answer remained a mystery"

3 comments: